Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Spa-gar-a-gus

So I was going to blog about swimming lessons today (ya, I know, big deal) but Monte came home today with not one . . but TWO 28 pound boxes of spagaragus. (This is what Andrew calls it and I think it's so darn cute that I've started calling it that too) So what exactly does one do with 56 pounds of spagaragus??? You make Pickled Spagaragus!! Of course I couldn't possibly have done it all on my own . . the kids had to help. They were quite helpful as you can see: Kaylee and Natalie cut the spears to the correct length . . .
while giving the camera lovely smiles.
It was the boys job to take off the rubberbands that hold the spagaragus so nicely together. Oh they are not rubberbands . . they are slingshots. Colten corrected me. The boys also made sure that the girls had plenty of un-slingshot bound spagaragus.
And what was I doing during all this? Why, taking pictures of course!
Oh, wait. I was also packing jars with garlic, dill and spagaragus, filling them with vinegar/water mix, and giving the many jars a water bath.

These are the many beautiful jars that we filled today. 23 in all - one broke :(

But don't be sad for us . . . there will be more jars tomrorrow. There's still one 28 pound box of spagaragus left to do.

4 comments:

lydia moyer said...

wow i am jealous those look sooooo good! what a great mom teaching your kids how to do that stuff and keeping them involved. and doing school work boy have you got it together! i think my kids watched 3 straght hours of "VOLTRON, DEFENDER OF THE UNIVERSE" yesterday and i just kept thinking how nice and quiet it was!!! my kids brains will be mush, i like to give the teachers a challenge when school starts!

Hunsakers said...

LOL!! I just have to laugh at Lydia's commment! Anyway, that looks yummy!! We all love asparagus. I wish I had the patience to can and to involve my kids in it. Maybe someday....

Teresa said...

I love how Andrew says spararagus, how cute is that! You have to love that boy! Have fun canning the second box.

amy welch said...

You're lucky to have so much! We love asparagus over here and I hate paying 2.99 lb. for it. What a great family activity.